MUSEUMS & LANDMARKS

History comes alive in Lucas County. Visit one of our numerous museums, mark your calendar for the historical cemetery tours, and more.

Stephens 2_edited.jpg

Photo Credit: Frank Myers

AJ Stephens House
 

The A.J. Stephens House, purchased in 1966, was the first building on the Lucas County Historical Society campus in west Chariton.

Untitled design.png

641-774-4464

117 N. 17th St., Chariton

Blacksmith_edited.jpg

Photo Credit: Frank Myers

Blacksmith Shop
 

The Blacksmith Shop, which is the most recent addition to the Historical Society, incorporates a storage and work area to the rear of the property.

Untitled design.png

641-774-4464

117 N. 17th St., Chariton

1211151308_edited.jpg

Photo Credit: Frank Myers

Civil War Soldier Monument

This monument sits on the corner of Chariton's square. Erected in 1916, the monument depicts an Union soldier is dressed in sack coat and slouch hat

domain.png

641-774-4464

916 Braden Ave., Chariton

018[4]_edited.jpg

John L. Lewis Mining & Labor Museum

The John L. Lewis Commission, Inc. was organized to honor and preserve the memory of John L. Lewis who was born in a coal mining camp adjacent to Lucas, Iowa. He became a prominent international labor leader of the twentieth century who dedicated his life to the needs of all working men, women and children.

domain.png

641-766-6831

102 Division St., Lucas

Lewis Building_edited.jpg

John L. Lewis Building
 

Built in phases between 1976 and 1992 and named for native son and labor giant John L. Lewis, the Lewis Building sits on the Lucas County Historical Society campus and houses four galleries, a library, commons area and office.

Untitled design.png

641-774-4464

117 N. 17th St., Chariton

Chariton library_edited.jpg

Lucas County Genealogy Society

While the Lucas County Historical Society does not maintain a genealogical collection, the Lucas County Genealogical Society maintains an amazingly comprehensive one. 

The Geneaology Society is housed within Chariton Public Library.

domain.png

641-774-4464

916 Braden Ave., Chariton

Photo Credit: Frank Myers

Mormon Trail 2_edited.jpg

Photo Credit: Frank Myers

Mormon Trail Monument On Chariton Square

This boulder, placed by the Daughters of the American Revolution in the courthouse square during 1917, commemorates the location of Chariton along the Momon Trace during 1949.

domain.png

916 Braden Ave., Chariton

Mormon Trail 1_edited.jpg

Photo Credit: Frank Myers

Mormon Trail Monument on Blue Grass Road

This boulder was placed during 1917 by the Daughters of the American Revolution at the first curve of the Blue Grass Road just south of Chariton. It marks the approximate location of the first permanent dwelling in Lucas County, along the Mormon Trace at a place called Chariton Point where Latter-day Saints families during 1846 made the first settlement by non-Native Americans in Lucas County.

domain.png

117 N. 17th St., Chariton

Mormon Trail 3_edited.jpg

Photo Credit: Frank Myers

Mormon Trail Monument Near Highway 34

The LDS commemorative panel near the DAR marker in Chariton's courthouse square provides the following general information: "Beginning in February of 1846, the vanguard of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons) struggled across southern Iowa on the way to their "New Zion" in the Rocky Mountains.

domain.png

916 Braden Ave., Chariton

Otterbein.jpg

Photo Credit: Frank Myers

Otterbein Church

Home to a pioneer Benton Township United Brethren in Christ congregation, Otterbein Church was moved to the Lucas County Historical Society Museum campus in 1976.

Untitled design.png

641-774-4464

117 N. 17th St., Chariton

Pioneer Barn.jpg

Photo Credit: Frank Myers

Pioneer Barn

The Pioneer Barn was built in 1995 using the timber frame of a pioneer barn moved to the Lucas County Historical Society Museum campus. It contains various artifacts and an area suitable for public events.

Untitled design.png

641-774-4464

117 N. 17th St., Chariton

Pioneer Log Cabin.jpg

Photo Credit: Frank Myers

Pioneer Log Cabin

Originally built by Liberty Township pioneers, the cabin was disassembled and moved to the Lucas County Historical Society Museum campus in 1995 and reassembled in 2001.

Untitled design.png

641-774-4464

117 N. 17th St., Chariton

Puckerbrush.jpg

Puckerbrush Schoolhouse

Puckerbrush School was originally located on Pleasant Ridge in Ottercreek Township. In use until 1963, it was moved to the Lucas County Historical Society Museum campus in 1967.

Untitled design.png

641-774-4464

117 N. 17th St., Chariton

Russell Museum and Library  Good One (1)

Russell Historical Society

Russell's Historical Society documents past history of the small, yet vibrant town of Russell, which is located just a few miles east of Chariton.

domain.png

641-535-2402

106 S. Prairie St., Russell

Photo Credit: Frank Myers